Lyndhurst is in the heart of the New Forest and became a National Park in 2005. William the Conqueror established the Forest around 1079 as a royal hunting ground to enable the lucky few to hunt deer. But now anyone can visit to enjoy the open spaces, forest glades and peaceful walks. Ponies and cattle roam free as they have done so for centuries and the deer are still here browsing under the canopy of the mighty oaks which were once used to build the ships of the Royal Navy in Nelsons day.